Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Ahhh.... it's ok

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillV44

Polynetics, Don't waste your money on a class action lawsuit. It is not the website operators (mfg.com), it's the companies that use it that don't reply. I have noticed the same thing you have and that is, if I don't need your service and have no intention of using it, then they don't need to get back to you. It's a bad trait perpetuated by alot of the calous business people we have today. That is, why waste my time responding back to you. Go buy a new machine and enjoy using it rather then spend good money on a class action lawsuit (without true merit).
BillV44

Last edited:

Dualkit

Polynetics, Don't waste your money on a class action lawsuit. It is not the website operators (mfg.com), it's the companies that use it that don't reply. I have noticed the same thing you have and that is, if I don't need your service and have no intention of using it, then they don't need to get back to you. It's a bad trait perpetuated by alot of the calous business people we have today. That is, why waste my time responding back to you. Go buy a new machine and enjoy using it rather then spend good money on a class action lawsuit (without true merit).
BillV44

I never used them, from what I hear they told mountains of lies to get people to pay up to $500 a month. Deception when selling something is more than enough basis for a law suit. A class action suit costs the plaintiff nothing unless there is a recovery. I can't believe they have cut the price to $175 a month, that is still $175 too much.

grinder

Dear guys,

I also have heard of MFG, every day, they group have sent many email to me about the mould,they also wanna us to join this group, it is very great for me to know about the MGF, i will never join it.

ltcray

Has anyone used or know anyone that has used MFG.COM? We are currently using it at our shop for the past 3 months and feel that it's the biggest rip-off we have ever encountered. In the past 3 months we have quote an enormous amount of RFQ's and not had any feedback what so ever. We have not gotten any jobs on there either, hell we even quoted jobs at less than material costs and still not received any work from there. :mad:

I spoke with them ~once~, and was cured. My shop isn't big enough to justify a $5K toll up front.

jnnewton

I used them for a year. It was about $3000 for the year. I landed about $2500 in business from that site, with not a whole lot of work. So, I would say I lost about $2000 in the deal. Although I don't necessarily think it's a "scam", I do think it's a money pit. My opinion, stay away as a supplier.

I do still use them for getting quotes, but it's so rigid, I like this site better, where I can work out dates and schedules with potential suppliers based on our unique situations.

The best thing I ever got from that site was when I learned the hard way about dealing with China for build-to-print fabrication. I tried two different places over there, they quoted a fraction of the US based businesses prices, but what good are $15 parts if they don't fit? Plus, I couldn't communicate with them, and my english is just fine. I now happily pay about $65 for that part, and it fits every time (US supplier).

handsmfg

I'm just starting out and I told them I couldn't afford them. They said that they had a deal I couldn't refuse. I refused. They still bug me every month or so to join. You have to pay all that money up front just for the privilege of bidding on work that you will never get. NO THANKS.

srt

I to was rip off by mfq for one year $ 1.000 I bid on jobs all nigh long not one job. I went as far as biding for the cost of the matl to see how low a guy has to go . still to high WOW

Last edited:

prozesstech

Hi... i can agree with everyone saying stay away from MFG. They have also tried to get us to sign up. That was to the time when they charged an arm and a leg. Lucky my comon sense kicked in and started to read between the lines together with checking RFQwork forum which helped confirming my negative feelings. How ever this is YEARS ago and they still send us emails telling how much we are missing out. I returned the emails telling them to STOP sending them.
Well its lik a concreate wall. They do not take NO for an answer. We get the emails on a daily base. Finally set a filter and deleted them right from the server. As for us no way.....MFG.

polynetics

Hello All, I'm not a frequent flyer on rfqwork.com but it's a great place to network and the posts are informative and useful. I just want to throw my 2 cents in on MFG.com. These guys ARE SCAMMERS. I signed up with them years ago and after quoting job after job and dozens of hours quoting without a single positive result I decided to go underground went Sherlock Holmes on these jokers. I found many of the postings were of defunct companies, shell companies, and quotations that were sheer fiction. I found evidence that let me to believe many of the other bidders as well as the job postings were being created by themselves to bolster the appearance of lucrative job offers. They came after me for the membership dues which I disputed on my credit card as fraud and they finally decided to leave me alone after I threatened them with a fraud lawsuit. In the end it's a shame, the website has potential but these guys apparently can't do it honestly. Do your homework always and beware, there is always someone willing to steal your money.

About me, I'm a 40+ year veteran of the machining industry. Polynetics provides 5 axis, 3 and 4 axis machining, precision dynamic balancing, and production machining for all industries. We are AS9100 Certified and celebrating 50 years in business. Good luck to us all in these difficult times.

Robert Pernice
Duonetics Corporation

Sure do wish I had found this thread and site almost one year ago before I paid them any money. I also found it to be quite a rip off. However, I did get them to set it up on a payment plan of four payments for $1,000 each. As I was able to do some bidding and work on setting up the "page" they promise to set-up for you/me. They scheduled "training" apointments time and time again because they just couldn't get it together.. The closest they came to achieving one was the following day. Scheduled 10 a.m. call on a holiday for them 24 hours later they called. I gave up on their site after calling some of the buyers and trying to get some work. I quoted one guy a thousand parts for 3.50 ish per part and his claim was someone was willing to do them for 1.40 so I said thank you for your time and have a wonderful evening. I cancelled the card the payments were being withdrawn from and still continue to get harrassed several times per day by some collection agency trying to squeeze out a payment. GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE WILLING TO PAY MFG.COM IN HOPES OF MAKING MONEY

chuckbre

be carefull

Has anyone used or know anyone that has used MFG.COM? We are currently using it at our shop for the past 3 months and feel that it's the biggest rip-off we have ever encountered. In the past 3 months we have quote an enormous amount of RFQ's and not had any feedback what so ever. We have not gotten any jobs on there either, hell we even quoted jobs at less than material costs and still not received any work from there. :mad:

I was a member years ago. The first year I received a fair amount of work. The second year after the recession, I paid $400 a month to be a member. After 10 months I recieved 1 job for $190 and quoted on 2 dozen jobs. I would recieve RFQ's and NEVER received even 1 hit from certain suppliers. I came to realize that the site is fake. I wish I had filed a complaint with my CC company but it was too late. $4000 lost. If there is a class action lawsuit I will definetly jump on board.

jimmyb

Glad I used MFG

Good for you. The rest of us haven't.

I've been a member of MFG Quote since 2005. There are definitely pros and cons. I can say I've done an extreme amount of quoting with little or no reward. I will also say, that if I hadn't done it I wouldn't have the business I have today. I'm not an MFG rep or anything like that, just a small job shop owner trying to create a shop I'm proud of right here in NH. Any doubt that I'm a sales guy, by all means look me up jcbperformance.com and give me a call. If this post is really asking the question is MFG a scam, I'll take some time to share my history with the company.

I signed up on MFG in 05, my shop consisted of me, an old Mazak SQT18M, and my wife doing the books part time. As I said, I quoted plenty, got little work, and bitched about it A LOT! I won a couple small jobs here and there but certainly not enough to justify the cost, especially considering how "competitive" I had to be to get them. I spent a lot of time experimenting with "how low could I go".

In 2005, I won a job for something like 1000 polished bushings out of Ft Worth, TX. When I quoted it, I contacted the customer. It was a small Ma/Pa type business, and they were so concerned about the finish on the outside of the bushings. Talked to them about how we could polish them after machine, etc, etc. I re-did the napkin equivalent of a drawing they had in Solidworks and put some real specs on the drawing. They were happy and we ultimately started dealing direct with each other. Come to find out, they had quite a few other parts that were a good fit. As of today, they have done $162,076 of business with me.

In 2006, I got an order from a Houston based company. They were very happy with the quality of the job, and we were able to build a good relationship. I quoted a few more jobs for them on MFG with success, until finally we would just deal direct with each other. They grew through the years and today they are our largest customer with $3,404,305 total sales

Still doing business with another customer I found through an RFQ on MFG out of Plato, TX. They've done about $35k with us and still going.

Over the years, I had pretty much stopped quoting MFG because quite frankly the award ratio to the amount of quoting needed wasn't really working, and we were fortunately busy enough not to rely on it. I kept the service and I'd spend 30 seconds a day breezing through the emails they send out looking for anything that was a perfect fit... complex stuff, tight tolerances, tougher materials, that type of stuff. I would totally stay away from the "washers" or stuff were you could tell there really wasn't going to be some form of quality control scrutiny. I felt we needed to be quoting that type of work to justify the $85 - $100/hr I was quoting with.

In 2012, a part on MFG caught my eye. +/-.001 tolerances, 16Ra's, 316L SS, it was a valve body type of part similar to a lot of stuff we'd been doing. Customer out of Louisiana had 4 or 5 parts listed. I quoted them all and contacted the customer to just let them know its right up our alley and they will be very happy with what they get. I also mentioned that we wouldn't be the cheapest quote they got and that we'd probably be higher than the average quote. Well, we didn't get all 5, but they did award one to us. And we were slightly under the average regarding pricing. They were very happy with the parts. It was like a 50pc job we quoted at $4600. Again after that, they began dealing direct with us. I'm looking at the QuickBooks and see they've done just over $100k with me since that first order in 2012. I've actually got their most recent order in progress that is not included in that sum, 3 parts, 500pcs each, job total is just over $40k.

These are the bigger examples of how I can't exactly bash MFG Quote too much. There are other jobs from other customers that have come and gone, $1000, $4000, $10,000 here and there. Just weren't able to establish a long term connection with some.

To be fair, I pulled up the vendor side of QB to see how much MFG has cost me over the years. Since 11/25/2005 we have paid them a total of $34,750.
My total sales since starting this business in 2003 has been $6,559,309. Of that the total sales from customers discovered through MFG Quote is $3,653,702.

Today we are still a small job shop. I have 6 employees, have 5 CNC's including a Mazak Integrex i200ST I bought new last year, and am expecting delivery of another new Mazak due in February. My biggest daily challenges are managing employees (a job in itself), and trying to figure out how to reel in our lead time on a couple machines that are booked into March next year.

So those have been some of my experiences with the website. There are my numbers related to the MFG service. Judge for yourself if MFG is a scam. Everyone has there own "secret to success", and MFG might not work for everyone, but I think it has been a useful tool for me and my little shop. Personally, I think the more people that think its a scam or waste of money is great for people using it, because the competition is already kind of ridiculous on there. But I will still give an honest assessment of what I think of the service.

Last edited:

jmatlockcbq

Hi everyone, brand new to the forum. I am looking forward to participating in discussions.

I found this place because we were considering joinging mfg.com, but 99.9% of what I have read online for the past hour is nothing but horror stories.

However, I did have one question. From what I understand, 7 days after a bid is awarded, they show you the competing bid info. My question is, do they show what state or country the award went to? I know a lot of you are saying the winning bid went overseas. What percentage would you say went overseas compared to central or south american countries? Was it all really just Asia and India? Thanks in advance.

jimmyb

Hi everyone, brand new to the forum. I am looking forward to participating in discussions.

I found this place because we were considering joinging mfg.com, but 99.9% of what I have read online for the past hour is nothing but horror stories.

However, I did have one question. From what I understand, 7 days after a bid is awarded, they show you the competing bid info. My question is, do they show what state or country the award went to? I know a lot of you are saying the winning bid went overseas. What percentage would you say went overseas compared to central or south american countries? Was it all really just Asia and India? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it will show you the state and country the job was awarded to. It is difficult to say the total percentage that goes overseas because I don't see all the rfqs. You can only see statistics for jobs you marked for quote or actually quoted on. Of the ones I've marked or quoted (maybe 20 per month), perhaps 20-30% of them go to China. Most of the others are awarded to US or Canada. That number is skewed though... I will look at the profile of a potential client before sending time quoting. If their history shows they only award the cheapest bid and primarily to China, I don't bother.

We do a lot of business in Houston. Tough times are coming huh? I've been doing quite a bit more quoting on MFG lately and it can be frustrating. Good luck with whatever you decide.

jmatlockcbq

Yes, it will show you the state and country the job was awarded to. It is difficult to say the total percentage that goes overseas because I don't see all the rfqs. You can only see statistics for jobs you marked for quote or actually quoted on. Of the ones I've marked or quoted (maybe 20 per month), perhaps 20-30% of them go to China. Most of the others are awarded to US or Canada. That number is skewed though... I will look at the profile of a potential client before sending time quoting. If their history shows they only award the cheapest bid and primarily to China, I don't bother.

We do a lot of business in Houston. Tough times are coming huh? I've been doing quite a bit more quoting on MFG lately and it can be frustrating. Good luck with whatever you decide.

20-30%, that's consistent with what the sales rep told me, too. Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by it being skewed?

And yeah, I was part of those rough times at another company. Saudi is killing us.

jimmyb

20-30%, that's consistent with what the sales rep told me, too. Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by it being skewed?

And yeah, I was part of those rough times at another company. Saudi is killing us.

I just meant, that I'm weeding out companies that show a significant favor to cheap labor countries before hand, so my 20 - 30% is coming from quotes that I've done that didn't include some of those "obvious looking for offshore" companies.

I've quoted about 50 parts in the last 3 months and was awarded 2 jobs. One was because we mistakenly quoted with the wrong size material. Job was $750, and that's about what the correct material cost... which sucked, but my quote is my quote and I ate it.

There were a couple other jobs that we had some dialog going, but didn't pan out. One in particular I put a good 4 hours into researching an extra request and I provided some information about how it could be done. Then the conversation turned to I wasn't the lowest bidder (I happen to be the 2nd lowest bidder being 22% higher) so it was hard to justify going with us. It is what it is.

jmatlockcbq

I just meant, that I'm weeding out companies that show a significant favor to cheap labor countries before hand, so my 20 - 30% is coming from quotes that I've done that didn't include some of those "obvious looking for offshore" companies.

I've quoted about 50 parts in the last 3 months and was awarded 2 jobs. One was because we mistakenly quoted with the wrong size material. Job was $750, and that's about what the correct material cost... which sucked, but my quote is my quote and I ate it.

There were a couple other jobs that we had some dialog going, but didn't pan out. One in particular I put a good 4 hours into researching an extra request and I provided some information about how it could be done. Then the conversation turned to I wasn't the lowest bidder (I happen to be the 2nd lowest bidder being 22% higher) so it was hard to justify going with us. It is what it is.

Thanks for the clarification. However, I spoke with my boss about this and I think we are going to be patient and wait to see if we are going to join or not.

mattys281

I subscribed to mfg.com in Sept. of 2015. It cost me $3000 for a one year membership. Since then I've quoted on over 70 jobs and only been awarded 5 through the site, although two of the companies issued me other p.o.s outside of the site. Total so far, I've made about $6,000 in 4 months. I picked up a couple contact that I communicate with directly now, but generally speaking it's been a very, very small return on investment and I do not plan to renew my membership next year.

The problem with this site is not that it's a scam. The problem is you're quoting work for companies that about 90% of which are also very small ma & pa outfits. They have no money and are penny pinchers. You are also quoting against Taiwan and Mexico for the work.

You can pick up work on there, but you have to be super aggressive. If you quote at over $30/hr. you will have trouble getting anything. You can pick up some fill-in work off the site, but I'd not expect to form too many long term profitable relationships there.

Status
Not open for further replies.