Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Ahhh.... it's ok

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

polynetics

Sorry I've not been more active on this site, you folks have some helpful things to share. I wanted to throw my 2 cents in on MFG.com. I also tried it after getting burned on a similar site years ago. I too tried quoting hundreds of jobs only to be told I was too high or hearing nothing back at all. Then the final straw when a 5 axis job (we're a 5 axis shop) came up with respectable quantities. I quoted VERY well to acquire this job only to have it "disappear" from the bid list. After many e-mails to my "rep" and no response I cancelled my credit card to stop the payments and sent MFG several letters demanding cancellation. They're response was to send my account to collections, no other responses, no conversation, apologies, nothing. They ARE A SCAM operation. Anyone who has been "stung" by these con artists should contact me to share information, experiences, as I may want to start a class action lawsuit. Keep in mind that I personally believe there is fraud here with so many companies that "post jobs" that never seem to get placed. I think some of these are shell companies that are set up as fillers to give the appeance of more work than there really is. Just my opinion but I've been at this for 35 years, it wouldn't be a reach given my experiences at MFG and apparently I'm not alone.

I screwed up and signed with MFG.com also. Bid alot (for basically free) and still not one job. I would be interested in finding a way to get out of my contract also. Pretty frustrating when things slow down and you still see that money flying out the window each month.

polynetics

Don't feel bad about joining MFG, it's a mistake that others have made with good intentions. Scams are everywhere and while MFG may not be a "complete" scam I have no doubt there's something wrong here if so many of the posts are negative and the results of the survey seem to bear this out. Contact me and I'll share what I can and please encourage anyone else who's had negative experience with MFG to join with us to see about a multi-plaintiff suit or class action. I have legal help at arms reach...

Robert
sales@polynetics.com

AndyP

I am a production engineer that has worked for BAe, GEC Marconi and Dowty and I have never heard of MFG.
Taking to an engineer at Boeing today, slipped this into the conversation and he indicated that he didn't
know of them. This doesn't mean they are a scam, it just means two old engineers haven't heard of them.

I have run two sites as an hobby linking hoobyists together and they seem to have rather a large amount of
jobs posted, this seems a little strange in the current economy.

Andy

Dualkit

I am a production engineer that has worked for BAe, GEC Marconi and Dowty and I have never heard of MFG.
Taking to an engineer at Boeing today, slipped this into the conversation and he indicated that he didn't
know of them. This doesn't mean they are a scam, it just means two old engineers haven't heard of them.
I have run two sites as an hobby linking hoobyists together and they seem to have rather a large amount of
jobs posted, this seems a little strange in the current economy.

Andy

They are not a scam for people posting jobs, but a major scam for people seeking work. I think I first heard of them a little over a dozen years ago. They were probably ok in their infancy as I believe they weren't letting third world countries join as contractors. Now there are way too many contractors signed up and not enough work to go around. Probably if you were super efficient at complex low volume parts you might make your $500 a month or whatever it is back. All the simple stuff which most people starting out can do goes to China. Unfortunately I believe people trying to get started out represent most of their victims, and these are the people with the least chance of succeeding in their system. It seems like they give people the hard sell with no concern they are getting most of their clients to throw their money away.

Edward F

Hi gang I'm new to this site but I've got a story to tell you about MFG. Years ago back in about 2001 I started my small shop and came across a web site called MFGquote.com. This site looked like a godsend to me with just starting out and wanting to grow my business I was hungry for work. I signed up at $185/month for one year and after a couple of months of quoting like crazy and not getting any feedback I started to question the whole process. Alot of buyers seemed very shady, like no contact info such as a name or phone number, just an email. I would send email after email and would not get a response only to be notified later that I was outbid by someone else and strangely enough I would also get the same exact message that they would consider my services in the future. After months of this I called tech support and complained of shady buyers and not enough info. I asked the women if these customers were real buyers or if all this was BS, after all buyers could place jobs for free supplyers paid the monthly fee. After maybe six months of no work a actually gave up on the site paid the monthly $185 and did"nt even bother to log on any more. I gave up. As soon as my year was up I cancelled. Nothing but a years worth of false promises.
Just recently I visited the site again, now it's called MFG.com and was contacted by a salesman trying to hook me up again. I did'nt tell him I was a past customer just to feel him out. He told me the same old BS as before, that the work would just start rolling in for $450 a month! I jerked him along for two weeks and I did'nt know this before but I found many blogs that bash MFG.com. Seeing so many disatisfied customers as recently as 2009 I knew things did'nt change. He told me how I could meet new customers, get new contacts and grow my business. He called me twice a day for two weeks. I meen this guy was desperate for a sale. Are last conversation was he dropped the price from $450 to $375/month. Mmmm maybe if I hold out longer he'll go to $300 or maybe $250 or $185 ? I told about the info I learned on the web and he told me that was all lies. I told him about buyers phishing for cheap parts and low prices that they are going to use to beat up there local guy where they were going to place the job anyway. I told him about shops paying $6000 a year for a service that did'nt give them one single job. I told him I was'nt intersted in a service that has that bad of a feedback from past customers. He got pissed and sent me a nasty email I guess that made him feel good. My gut tells me there is something wrong when all these years later people are still complaining of tha same things I thought was wrong back in 2001. My advice is save your money. Do you own homework. Meet your own customers, and maybe MFG.com will go broke.
Thanks for reading this a warn others.

Palisadetool

To add more coal to the fire ! After you bid, at least when I did, you are able to see who won the bid and for how much they will get for it. On most occasions the winning bid went to a company that will be paid less then what I'd have to spend on materials alone! How can you compete with that? I bailed after the first year and took the loss. They tried to get me to sign on again but I stalled them when I mentioned my incident with the E-mail from a non subscribing bidder from India.
Thanks for your time reading this blog. Best advice! Save your money and stay away from MFG.com

Dualkit

I can't believe with the internet and a thing called Google that MFG.COM still suckers in new people. My only guess is the victims are all well over 50 and aren't that internet savy. No disrespect to 50 year olds as that will be me in a few months, but I am on the edge of being "too old" to have learned computers and the internet by simple osmosis.

polynetics

More MFG.com concerns

If there is anyone interested in partnering up on a lawsuit I am preparing to file against MFG.com. Based on my experiences and other companies who have had the same experiences, ie; non-responsiveness to inquiries, phantom quotations that never get responses from buyers, "target" prices that are well below the cost of material alone, large volume quotations that "disappear" from the list without explanations or responses from the buyers, to name a few, there is enough to proceed with an action.

I believe these are traits of a fraudulent operation and while some of the quotations are real, I think that many are ficticious or misleading at the minimum and I intend to gather names of others who feel they have been misled by MFG and their representatives. Please contact me via e-mail at sales@polynetics.com.

Robert Pernice :mad:

Dualkit

If there is anyone interested in partnering up on a lawsuit I am preparing to file against MFG.com. Based on my experiences and other companies who have had the same experiences, ie; non-responsiveness to inquiries, phantom quotations that never get responses from buyers, "target" prices that are well below the cost of material alone, large volume quotations that "disappear" from the list without explanations or responses from the buyers, to name a few, there is enough to proceed with an action.

I believe these are traits of a fraudulent operation and while some of the quotations are real, I think that many are ficticious or misleading at the minimum and I intend to gather names of others who feel they have been misled by MFG and their representatives. Please contact me via e-mail at sales@polynetics.com.

Robert Pernice :mad:

Good luck, keep us posted in this thread on what kind of responses you are getting. Hope you can win a class action suit and put these thieves out of business.

polynetics

Thanks for the response and well wishes. If you know of anyone bitten by these serpents please forward my info...thanks.

diemaker1

MFG.com rip-off

We too have plucked down the $5,000+ to try this site and although we were awarded a few jobs and even landed one that was ongoing till the latest recession . All in all It is definately not worth the investment. We had to be bottom feeders to win the bids which for the most part meant very little profit. We didn't even cover the cost of the site.
I would recommend pounding the pavement to find your niche and save your money.

cncdesign

I have heard complaints from my friends who have tried to do business thru MFG.com. Your all being whipsawed against india, china, and so on. This site is a ripoff, and people need to quit letting these foreign shops bid on jobs from the USA! That is why we are in this situation now. So many businesses have left our shores to set up shop in these countries. How can we compete with $8 a day! I notice India and China shop trying to bid on jobs on this site to. I for one will not work for nothing. The people starting out in this business are fueling the fire by working for very low wages. If we keep it up there will be no more manufacturing in this country! Mfg.com should be shut down and sued.

diemaker1

couldn't agree more

You are so 100% correct. Do you have a class action going against them? I could use some of my money back lol. I hope you didn't think I was defending them.I am not I was only being truthful. I agree with you about the outsourcing of our jobs.
Good luck in your endeavors

polynetics

MFG IS A SCAM. DO NOT PAY THESE PEOPLE FOR FALSE HOPE.

I'm an irrate sucker who paid the money to this site and feverishly submitted quotes for 3 months. I called them several times and each time they tried to give me pointers in gaining work. I had enough. I quoted 10 jobs to 10 different companies and only was asking for cost of materials to manufacture and ship their parts. In all 10 cases I was not awarded the work. I was pushed into this by my business partner and wish we never heard of these punks. Recently on suggestion to personally contact companies to try to obtain work I offered to make a coupling 1'' round by 4'' long for absolutely free to gain a history. The consumer turned me down saying he already had a shop and only wanted quotes.

I'd love to join in on a class action suit against this service adn if I ever did see the founder at a Trade Show I'd probably have more than a "few" choice words. In fact, I might spend the whole show in front of his booth steering customers away. It couldn't waste anymore of my time than on a computer looking at their site.

If you're interested in a class action I've started the suit and am taking names. Please contact me directly at sales@polynetics.com.

ELLIPSE MFG

Close the bank account that they are sucking the blood from.
Or close the card that they are using.
I wished I had done this along time ago.

BillV44

Mfg.com is an expensive site for bidders, not so for buyers. I started with them (as a buyer) when I was at a company called Xentaur Corp. (no comments on this company) and this was part of the Thomas Register group of companies at that time. Placed many RFQs on the site and did hand out about 40% of what I posted. Had some excellent shops working with me and a lot of VERY poor quality shops; shops where I don't think they had anyone who could read a BP. I tried enlisting their services for bidding but found the $175/mo. a little too much based on a gamble. You could spend 8 hrs. a day quoting and get nothing. Then, pay a fee for that privlege. Quotes varied from the sublime to the rediculous. You're better off here (rfqwork.com) and supplementing your marketing plan with a good email campaign covering local manufacturers. Just tailor your emails to say what you would want to read if you were the recipient: good quality, good communication, good price, good delivery, GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.