Drilled and knurled dowel

Status
Not open for further replies.

leamcorp

I'm looking for following parts for my operation,

Part #1,

1) 1 1/2" (length) by 5/16" (diameter) 303 Stainless Steel
2) Drilled through - using #29 bit
3) end should have a slight tapered, but perfectly flat is fine also (as long as edge is not jagged, need to be smooth as it will be pressed into another parts)
4) 1/3" knurled on one end with slight groove.

Part #2

1) 1/2" (length) by 3/8" (diameter) 303 Stainless Steel
2) Drilled through using #29 bit
3) Drilled on center using #29 bit
4) Tapped both holes for 8/32 thread

This is for continuing run with no end date and minimum of 200-400 pieces per order with annual consumption of 3-5000 pieces annually.

Attached is a crude drawing of the part (picture/part could be forwarded).

Attachments

• dowel.jpg
    dowel.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 134
  • part1.jpg
    part1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Larry1

Is the requirement on the stainless standard or ground stainless. In other words what is the tolerance on the 5/16 and the 3/8 diamenter?

DareBee

"Pressed into another part" would mean precision ground in my books, will likely go into a .001 under reamer standard H7 hole (at least that would be my design).

leamcorp

Tolerance is fairly loose - its a decorative item and not a precision at all. The - pressed into something means that it will be pusing against a plastic piece - in general, there's some side way movement to allow some headroom - so again, the tolerance is not that critical. The purpose of he hole on the 5/16" dowel is for threading (8/32) similar to the 3/8" shorter dowel. Only thing is that we would do that ourself - threading the longer piece. Once drilled, we use 8/32 tap on our drill press, so no reaming is required.

Currently, we buy a bulk SS dowel (standard grade) and drill/knurl on our lathe manually - so as long as it looks good (no noticeable outside blemish) and the threaded part is strong enough its fine with us (the pressure put on the thread is about 10lb). Again, we could work with few samples first and I could send you what we are making today.

Thank you.

Larry1 said:
Is the requirement on the stainless standard or ground stainless. In other words what is the tolerance on the 5/16 and the 3/8 diamenter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.