Sourcing electrical iron, magnetic iron, soft iron???

Possum

I am a guitar pickup maker and need to recreate some products that were made in 1959 or thereabouts. The steel is called by different names but is basically very low carbon steel being mostly iron. Its called "soft iron," "electrical iron," "magnetic iron."

I need to get round rod in 3/16" diameter and also rectangular rod in 1/8" thick x 3/16" wide.

This stuff is not common and extensive google searches don't turn up much. I need to have the round rod material cut into 1/2" lengths and nickel plated, approx 10,000 pieces. The rectangular rod stock I just need raw and will cut and drill myself. Its ok to email me about this though I will check back here, put "soft iron" in the subject line of emails and I'll be sure to get it. Any information or ideas I'll be very grateful for, thanks.

Possum

1006 steel....

I"m still doing research to find what the composition of this stuff is, 1010 and 1006 I don't think are close enough, Carpenter has an "electrical iron" alloy thats probably close but they don't answer emails and I can't find anyone who stocks their product.

Possum

Carpenter...

Yes its Carpenter, their website is http://www.cartech.com/
They have low carbon metals for magnetic uses but they don't answer my emails and some of the alloys I've run across on the net that they do make are horribly expensive.

I've managed to buy some nearly pure iron bar stock that I can have cut into very small rectangular rod, if I can find someone to do that, but haven't been able to find it in 3/16" size round rod.