Small Job Quote Needed small alum cnc part

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUNAMAN

EMPLOY 135 USA workers
Matt thats a good idea. But I think we should leave bluefork out of it, by that I mean we should all post our prices so we can see where the state of our economy is really at. I'm game just say the word and I'll post our prices it really would be good too see how pricing has changed lately weather it be a large shop or small one.
PS, did anyone notice that machinepier that has listed his location in Ca is actually from china? :eek: Sure hope the op noticed.

besc

Im game. I offered $5.00 per part for the labor. He awarded the job before I could get a material price for the 50 parts which localy was $72.00. And believe it or not from my experiance on this forum I would have been surprised if I would have gotten it. Mike.

TUNAMAN

EMPLOY 135 USA workers
WOW --Besc :eek: that price floored me. Below is what I quoted and at those prices I gave it just covered the help and material with no profit. Thank goodness for the large companies left in the USA or I would feel guilty having to let go of 135 great hard working Employees.:( This is very interesting I hope everyone is up front so we all can get a better idea of what is going on with pricing because china is going to be out of the picture soon and we can all make a living again. Even machinepier tried to sneak in on this quote by hiding the fact he is a china company (take a peek at his website,(china)) but he put his location as Ca USA. I really hope the thread starter didn't get sucked into the trap, he seems like a normal guy trying to earn a living.

Our prices delivered,
without site $15.75 Ea
with site $19.75 Ea

Have a great day

Dualkit

Matt thats a good idea. But I think we should leave bluefork out of it, by that I mean we should all post our prices so we can see where the state of our economy is really at. I'm game just say the word and I'll post our prices it really would be good too see how pricing has changed lately weather it be a large shop or small one.
PS, did anyone notice that machinepier that has listed his location in Ca is actually from china? :eek: Sure hope the op noticed.

I think machinepier is actually from here, operating out of a house in the Los Angeles area. They outsource to China, just another broker acting like they
have this huge factory. I was bored and I decided to investigate some of these
people pretending to be 200,000 square foot machine shops. For the record I
have 2,000 feet of space and don't pretend to be anything I am not.

Would have quoted around Tunaman's prices so at a glance I decided not to quote, this is one of those parts where someone will make them for $5,
no thanks at that price unless the volume is much higher.

TUNAMAN

EMPLOY 135 USA workers
So Matt and everyone else it's your turn, especially machinepier I really think we will all learn from this. And I am sorry to hijack this thread but it has served it's initial purpose.

TUNAMAN

EMPLOY 135 USA workers
I think machinepier is actually from here, operating out of a house in the Los Angeles area. They outsource to China, just another broker acting like they
have this huge factory. I was bored and I decided to investigate some of these
people pretending to be 200,000 square foot machine shops. For the record I
have 2,000 feet of space and don't pretend to be anything I am not.

I didn't think of that, (good detective work) but it's still a pretty tacky way of running a business. Like you said I don't pretend to be anybody but me. I do have a huge shop in my eyes but not even big in someone elses eyes, we do work for Boeing, Lycoming and many other companies but my shop is less than 20,000sf (very small for a first teir shop) so everyone is bumping elbows all day :D But we all have fun and even the boss is on the floor working when he(me) can. ;)

TimD

I quoted $785 for the package, $15.7 each avg. Without getting to create it needs three setups and two sets of soft jaws. I guess you win some and you lose some.

1800 sq ft here.

Tim

besc

After a couple more responses on this issue there is something I would like to say as to what I THINK is going on here with this forum. One has no choice but to operate this way on this forum. I think there is a lot of song and dance going on behind the scenes with PMs that we are not aware of, just speculation mind you. I was hoping that we would here what the awarded bid was. Mike.

TUNAMAN

EMPLOY 135 USA workers
After a couple more responses on this issue there is something I would like to say as to what I THINK is going on here with this forum. One has no choice but to operate this way on this forum. I think there is a lot of song and dance going on behind the scenes with PMs that we are not aware of, just speculation mind you. I was hoping that we would here what the awarded bid was. Mike.

I agree with the behind the scenes theory and would also like to know what the winning quote was. No offense to the person that got a really good price on their parts, thats the way our country works. But what I don't understand is how any-one in the machine business can actually make these parts for the prices I've seen, yes most of them are simple parts that can be made on an old bridgy but what do I do with the 1.4Mil dollar machines? I don't think people asking for cheap parts realize that shops like mine have $20Mil worth of machines that won't pay for themselves doing $2.00 parts and smaller shops have the equivalent in equipment to their size. The end of chinas cheap junk parts is coming to an end they are closing hundreds of shops daily and folks are going back to their village , it's now up to us to charge properly for our work and not cut each others throats. The good news :D is that of all the prices people have disclosed in this thread so far they have been with in pennies of each other thus showing the normal shops know what they are doing, now if the cut throats would understand whats going on everyone would make out including them. Bad news is folks looking for cheap parts won't find them any longer like it was 6 or 7 years ago. :(

bluefork

The person who won the bid was over $10 a part and under $15. I'm not going to do specifics. I was quoted everywhere from $5 a part(china) to $75 apart. Most of the bids were in the $15 - $25 range. I have had these parts locally made before so I had a pretty good idea were I think they should be priced. I'm not asking for them to be free but they need to be close to what I have paid. The person who got the job is in the US. I'm not going to award any jobs to china. I used to work in a machine shop that was shut down due to out sourcing.

Thanks again for taking the time to put in a quote for me.

besc

bluefork. So did the $5.00 apeice scare you off? It shouldnt have since I have a verifiable busness and a web site to check out to lagitimize my work. Or does this support my claim of a behind the scenes stuff going on? Just trying to see why I was the low bid and didnt get it. The way it seems to be on this forum is a lagitimat shop decides what to bid for his regular wages. Then cut it to 1/3 of that and then feel lucky it he gets it even then. Well, im done with this. Mike.

Matt@RFR

I quoted $18.65/ea for the ones with no sight and $19.31/ea with sight, plus $125 NRE. That includes shipping.

Silly me, I like to get paid for programming and all the little miscellaneous crap that goes into a job.

Tunaman, sorry for the delay but I have a day job with no computer access. Also, from what I've seen you won't see the low bidders (for the most part) reply because they KNOW they are doing something shady and will be unpopular amongst the legit shops here.

And $5 per part for labor?! Assuming a somewhat legitimate shop rate of $60/hr, you figure you can do these parts in 5 minutes each?? All three ops?? Plus the fixturing?? Plus programming?? Come on man.

jkford96

Well I like the fact that it was awarded! and a $ amount was posted. Good info to see what people are bidding.
I also understand the frustration out there it's not easy to see one go by a small margin but if they can make a living at that price, I say good for them! they are doing something right.

mc-motorsports

So did the $5.00 apeice scare you off? It shouldnt have since I have a verifiable busness and a web site to check out to lagitimize my work. Or does this support my claim of a behind the scenes stuff going on? .

I call bullshit. If you had "behind the scenes work" you wouldn't be working so damn cheap, you wouldn't waste your time.

mc-motorsports

But what I don't understand is how any-one in the machine business can actually make these parts for the prices I've seen, yes most of them are simple parts that can be made on an old bridgy but what do I do with the 1.4Mil dollar machines? I don't think people asking for cheap parts realize that shops like mine have $20Mil worth of machines that won't pay for themselves doing $2.00 parts and smaller shops have the equivalent in equipment to their size. :(

I dont' understand how you would even want to compete? Unless you had an old "bridgy".

Seriously, a 1.4 million dollor machine should be lined up with major production work.

Don't you guys think your looking outside of your capabilities? Think an "old bridgy" could compete with a teir 1 production job that your 1.4mil machine was made for? With 20 mil in machinery, I would expect you to have a full toolroom, inspection room including cmm's and ISO certs. Why would you even waste your time bidding on a job so small and obsolete?

I don't want to come accross as a prick, I'm honestly just wondering and throwing out the obvious here. I know times are tough. But I wouldn't expect that job to pay the bills on 20 mil worth of machinery. It's my common sense that you bid among your capabilites. And a 1.4mil machine is capable of much more. Maybe if it was a 2000 piece order, yes!

I'm honestly just asking. I didn't bid, don't need the work right at the moment and hope like hell it didn't get outsourced over-seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.