Request For Quote- Spring Steel plates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!
This request is for USA companies only please.

Quantity: 40 spring steel plates
Material: .032" 1095 spring steel
Material is not provided.
Time frame: 3 weeks or less
Tolerance: +/- .002"

The part was designed in SolidWorks and we can provide the file in a variety of formats.

Attachments

• t-plate..PDF
    60.5 KB · Views: 266
I'm still in need of these. The machinist that took the job appears to have done them manually. Each part was different in appearance and way out of tolerance. I am really in a bind to get these done now.

ProFormance

I sent you a quote. May have been higher than the guy doing them manually. Not sure how he would do them manually.

I quoted them cut on our wire edm. Can hold tenths if needed on it.

Dualkit

I'm still in need of these. The machinist that took the job appears to have done them manually. Each part was different in appearance and way out of tolerance. I am really in a bind to get these done now.

How about outing the hack? The butchers on this site hurt everyone. Hope you didn't pay anything up front for trash.

So far, the communication I had with the machinist was excellent. The speed and price was also excellent. But the tolerance was way off. Most average 15 thou off, some as high as 60 thou off. The job called for 2 thou tolerance. As you can see in the pictures, I don't even need to take pictures of my caliper, because you can visually see they are way off. I grabbed the first 9 of 40 and took these pictures:

http://www.mcpappy.com/images/bad_quality_t-plates/IMG_6280.jpg
http://www.mcpappy.com/images/bad_quality_t-plates/IMG_6281.jpg
http://www.mcpappy.com/images/bad_quality_t-plates/IMG_6283.jpg
http://www.mcpappy.com/images/bad_quality_t-plates/IMG_6285.jpg

I paid for the material up front. I am now 3 weeks behind schedule because of this. Maybe this was an honest mistake he didn't notice. So I'm going to give him a chance to make this right. If not, I'd be glad to share who did the work.

I'm having some tough luck getting a machinist to make these. Now my 2nd machinist had a machine break down and can't complete the parts. So I am still looking for a machinist yet again. Please send your bids.

Let me know if you still need a quote on these. We may not be competitive in quantities of 40, but if you ever need large production runs, let me know. On our CNC punchpress we would have to charge probably around $25 apiece for 40 parts because we have to have tooling made for your irregular shaped part. However, if you need 500 we could get the price down to around $5 apiece.

I'd be happy to talk more with you about this.

mike@jetblackaircraft.com

Mike Black
Owner
Jet Black Machine, LLC

ostie01

No longer will members be allowed to post pricing for quote's for any jobs, if your bidding on work DO NOT POST YOUR PRICE!!!! Contact the member directly VIA IM or email. Anyone posting pricing will be banned from the site.

Do not post price on this forum or you can be banned, would be sorry for you.

Jeff

Thank you for the heads up. I must say I think it is silly to not allow pricing to be openly discussed. If you do not wish to post your price that is fine with me, but I have no reason to hide what I am charging.

I'd like the moderator of this forum to explain why that policy exists.

Mike

MMPLLC

Mike,

Because posting quotes publicly turns this into a reverse auction, and that's NOT what the moderators or any of the rest of us want. Simple enough?

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine & Precision LLC

This IS a backward auction. It's just a silent auction. And in a silent auction a person who announces his bid is at a disadvantage. So why would anyone care if I want to announce my bid?

MMPLLC

Mike,

No, this is NOT a reverse auction. You see, an auction is where to bidders take turns offering more and more to the seller, until all but one of the bidders run out of budget. In this situation, it would be a reverse auction, being that bidders increasingly lower the cost of their services until they run out of profitability and bow out. Again I state: This is NOT what the moderators or any of the rest of us want. There is a reason you don't see any reverse auction quoting sites anymore. Vendors got tired of getting their brains beat in and quit quoting.

This is what is called a sealed bid auction. All interested parties get to submit their bid and the customer gets to chose the vendor by whatever criteria meets their needs.

Again, I ask: Simple enough?

Thanks. Brad.
Model MAchine & Precision LLC

I always give the best bid I can. So I don't need to battle back and forth with other shops bidding. If another shop outbids me that's fine, I'll get another job.

Dualkit

I always give the best bid I can. So I don't need to battle back and forth with other shops bidding. If another shop outbids me that's fine, I'll get another job.

I doubt anyone who openly posts a price will get work from here. Somebody will lop a few percent off your price and turn it in with out even crunching the numbers. The bad economy has turned this trade into Walmart. I have submitted bids and been asked if I could reduce the price because someone new was just a little lower than me. Told them I could if they either increased the quantity or opened up tolerances, otherwise the answer was no. Hopefully some day everyone will be busy again and the race to the bottom will stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.