Request For Quote- Special Pulley Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

G Carlson

Hi - we are looking to produce custom pulley stock. Essentially, we'd start with a round al. bar at given diameter (we might try a couple sizes) and cut twenty tapered grooves around it. The grooves will be .50 wide at the bottom and .50 deep, with a 50 degree taper - if we change O.D.'s, the groove will not change.

We'd like to produce stock material in 8" or 12" lengths - whatever is convenient - to be cut up later. We'd start with a couple O.D.'s and do some testing, so qty would be 2 or 3 parts to start. Afterwards, it'll be a stock part for us, and we would like have it turned into finished parts once the cross-sectional geometry gets fixed.

I don't think a standard hob (multi-groove) would do it, since the O.D. isn't fixed - I think you'd have to cut the grooves one at a time vertically or horizontally. Any mill with a ground cutter and an index should do it - but obviously, though, I don't care how it's done.

Please quote - thanks, gregg.carlson@gmail.com

Attachments

• cog-pulley.jpg
    cog-pulley.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 149
  • cog-pulley-solid.jpg
    cog-pulley-solid.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 93

drylakemachine

cog pulley

Greg If I understand this ,you want a pulley with 20 teeth. So what size belt are you going to use as far as pitch.Your close to 5mm or .200 now. Or do you have a special belt to use.With the right pitch we only need to make one pulley.
Jim

G Carlson

Yes, it's a special deal - I expect to be making 3 or 4 tries at different O.D.'s. before getting it right.

GHC

drylakemachine

pulley

Greg Well how about the spec's on the belt or a profile.Most cog pulleys have small radii at the o.d. edge.So after i get the 50 degree angle ground ,if there is a radii ,scrap tool and start over. Just trying to keep the R&D cost down.Thank's Jim

G Carlson

Thanks Jim, a radius of .015" is desirable there - on the male corner. Of course, that's going to be imperfect on one tool and 3-4 O.D.'s, but tumbling will ease that edge anyway. The female corner doesn't make any difference.

Greg Well how about the spec's on the belt or a profile.Most cog pulleys have small radii at the o.d. edge.So after i get the 50 degree angle ground ,if there is a radii ,scrap tool and start over. Just trying to keep the R&D cost down.Thank's Jim

KTECH

Is this soemthing that will be extruded after figuring out what ratio etc that you need? I could assist you in getting those extruded.

Kyle
KTECH Industries, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.