Request For Quote- Looking for new vendor, aluminum parts.Ongoing orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

rchacich

I am looking for a vendor to machine 6061 aluminum parts for the machinery that I produce. Vendor to supply material which doesn't require certs. I am uploading 3 parts which I plan on purchasing in quantites of 10 each at a time to get started. Parts are to be shipped via FedEX with my shipping account. The parts are to be made with bar stock and only the ends that are saw cut are to be machined. There will be radii machined on the corners which should blend into the unmachined sides. Faces are not to be machined. No deburring is necessary or wanted. I finish all parts on a Timesaver machine to my flattness and surface finish specifications. I detail most dimensions to 3 decimal places since I would like the parts programmed to that accuracy. I will not be measuring the parts and I have never regected a part for holes not lining up. Tapped hole depth is not critical. Please try to have good threads a minimum of the called out depth. If a dimension has a called out tolerance (hole diameter for bearing), I do require that tolerance. Please send quote to ronald@chacich.com . These are my smallest, lowest quantity parts. I will have more parts to be quoted for the best candidates. 1 week for quotes and parts sooner the better, but cost is more critical that lead time.
Best Regards,
Ron Chacich

Attachments

• 200-0030.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 200-0031.pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 200-0032.pdf
    80.1 KB · Views: 200

Matt@RFR

Do you realise that by telling your machinist how to make your parts, that you've made them more expensive?

Your way adds a fixture and adds one operation: With material in vice, drill and ream through holes, plus any other features that are accesable. Then bolt to fixture and finish that side. Flip on fixture and finish other side. First holes drilled and mating dowels in fixture must be very accurate for part location.

OR, use toe clamps and a fixture and one less operation, but now you'll have marks on the parts from the toe clamps, and are relying on the stock extruded material for location...good luck with that. Also, feedrates will have to be reduced due to less clamping force of the toe clamps vs. a machine vice.

That, coupled with fighting to get those end radii to blend correctly into unfinished extrusion is going to add time.

MY way: Buy oversized material (.75"x2.25"), which adds, on average from my suppliers, $0.78 per piece. Throw it in a vice and machine one side. Turn over and machine other side. Done. No fixtures. No messing around with inconsistent extruded bar, no location issues, no setup time.

Let the machinist do his job, and you'll be much happier in the end. And for the record, I'm not quoting these parts because I'm confident that they will go for a song...I'm just trying to help you out.

rchacich

Thanks for the input on my description of making the parts. I was just trying to describe what an acceptable part would look like. If anyone feels that machining all sides is more efficient, I have no problem with that. Being competitve in today economy is all that I am trying to accomplish, so cost is the main concern. Also, my machines are MADE IN THE USA. Please do NOT quote if you are not manufacturing in the USA.

Morrison Machine Shop

Michael Morrison
By machining all sides, the machinist squares all sides for accurate dimensions, because the raw stock is never ever square, ever, and never assume that it is. Thanks!

Dualkit

Impossible to hold that .313-.315 tolerance with out either machining the face
or manually dialing off one at a time. Oh I forgot no one here looks at tolerances, my bad.

Dualkit

which drawing?

-0031 & -0032 SECTION A-A. Anyone who bids per print with out facing all sides out of oversize stock is a complete fool. But there are plenty of fools in here. If the guy wants parts out of raw plate he needs to re-tolerance everything to +/- .015 or higher. If the guy claims suitable raw plate exists to hold the tolerances, have him provide the stock, so you waste his money instead of your's when his machining suggestions don't work.

rchacich

Good point about the .313/.315 hole depth off of the surface. I will change the specification of another part on the assembly so that I can open that tolerance to .31/.32

Med-Pac

Hello rchacich,

It's nice to see another Minnesotan on here! We are located in Lake Park, MN. It's about a 3-4 hr drive to the cities from here. I am interested in making your parts. Is this still open for bidding? If not, you mentioned that you had other parts for this assembly. I'll send you a pm with my contact details.

Regards,
Mike

rchacich

As per my first post, I am accepting quotes for 1 week. If you would like to quote, please send no later than Friday. FYI, I have received numerous quotes up to this point, many more than I expected.
Best Regards,
Ron Chacich

rchacich

Job Awarded

I would like to thank everyone for their quotes. The job has been awarded. Bases on the quotes, I now have a database of machine shops for my manufacturing needs. If I didn't contact you yet, I may in the future.
Best Regards,
Ron Chacich

Many have requested stats on the RFQ, so this is the information that I am comfortable sharing.

1 week
Exactly 30 quotes
Range from single digits to triple digits per part

Status
Not open for further replies.