Another Tormach Guy RFQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

kochevnik

I'm in the same boat as damnmachines - I have a Tormach and made some prototypes and now they are selling and the production is not the most efficient use of my time. I have a number of parts I would like to eventually sub out, but these are the first two. Sorry, I don't do CAD/CAM I just use a pencil and paper to do my designs and straight GCode for my milling. Fotos of parts are below - if I left something out or am unclear, please PM me.

Both parts are 1" square mild steel (you supply stock). I don't need any deburring, cleaning etc. I can do that. I'd like quotes on 100 and 500 each part. Time frame is a week to 10 days. Please quote any shipping separate from actually making the parts (I'm in Oregon, zip 97479). RFQ ending time is Monday, Feb 5.

Part 1:

010.jpg

These are spacers, pretty simple but the most important thing is that the length is accurate - 1.325" (+/- .001) and that the two end surfaces are parallel and nice and shiny - I use a flycutter, .001 on my last pass - anything that gives a similar surface is fine. The hole is 1/2" and centered (+/- .010 for centering and + 0.10 for hole diameter).

Part 2 :

011.jpg

Pretty much the same as part 1 - except length is 1.315 (+/- .001) and the hole is 1/4" (same tolerances as 1/2" hole above). Slot is 0.700" wide (+.002) and 0.75" deep (+/- .050) - if it makes it easier to mill, a 0.75 inch slot is fine too - just as long as the slot is centered (+/- .001 on the centering).

If the RFQ price and quality is good enough, I have other parts I will be subbing out ASAP. In your RFQ, if it's not too much trouble, I would like to know what make and model of machine you will be using to mill these.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

kochevnik

I saw in another forum here that a number of RFQ's had been left hanging here on this site - very unprofessional IMO.

I want to assure everyone, at least in my case with this RFQ, that I will answer EVERY PM and will post here in a week to let everyone know the RFQ has closed and the price I accepted.

PrecisionPlus

part#1 (100)pcs $ 4.25ea. shipping $ 35.00 to your dock.
part #1 (500)pcs $ 3.85ea. shipping $ 78.00 to your dock.
part #2 (100)pcs $ 6.25ea. shipping $ same as part 1
part #2 (500)pcs $ 5.95ea. shipping $ same as part 2
You can reach me at 480-204-3438
Precisionplus@cox.net
Chris C.

kochevnik

I've had a couple of questions about the stock 1" bars in this foto - they show a radius on them - the only reason for that is that this is the stock I bought and having (or not having) a radius is not important to the part. Only important issue as to the stock is that it is roughly 1 inch square and it is some type of steel.

Hope that clears things up.

slatern44

Matt,
hey, I have a machine shop just a little noth of you outside of McMinnville and would like to talk with you about your parts. Please email me so we can discuss your items. I will get quote for you tomorrow also.
Thanks,
Neil

Slater Machine
neil@slatermachine.com

kochevnik

Closing Early

I've decided to move up the end date on this RFQ - I've gotten a number of decent quotes and I don't think anything would be served by dragging this out much longer - plus I need the parts ASAP.

Thanks to everyone who responded, this RFQ is now closed. I'll post a recap later on if anyone is interested (names removed of course).

Last edited:

kochevnik

The low quotes on the #1 part went from just under $2 each and just under $3 for the #2 part. The high quotes went up around $6 and $7 each.

Keep in mind that the material costs for these should have been right around 25 cents each (I pay about 15 cents for material when I make them myself) so almost all the costs of these is in shop rates, and tooling, equipment, setups, etc.

I would like to thank everyone who bid on these, I most likely will have other RFQ's down the line.

cnckid

Owner/Machinist
Wow, those are some really good prices for parts that have +/-.001 tolerances. It would be interesting to know what the winning bidders shop rate is, AND what machine he used. Did he allow for cutoff, setups, machining, inspection, packaging, etc? I'm assuming this price was for the 500 quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.