Request For Quote- Aluminum Caster Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another part. It's a short time frame, but if it can be done in 2-3 weeks, we'll use this part. Otherwise, well use what we already have.

Material: Aluminum 6061
3/16" Aluminum sheet is required (not provided)
Quantity: 50
Top Holes drilled and tapped for 2-56 threads
Side holes are not tapped
Tolerance: +- .005"
USA companies only please.

We've designed this in SolidWorks those files and can provide more dimensioned .pdf's if needed.

Attachments

• caster_block.PDF
    101.6 KB · Views: 225
Thank you very much for everyones quotes. As of right now, we are all set and the order has been placed (all from USA companies from this forum.) Thanks again!
Is it desirable for everyone if I post the winning bids and/or companies?

bobk

I would like to see the feedback, not just price but the quality that the purchaser received for their money. I have been bidding on this forum for quite some time and have not been very succesful. It would be nice to see what people are willing to pay for parts to see if I'am even competative. To give an idea of track record, out of almost 50 bids I have only recieved 1 job. Many times I won,t bid anymore simply because I have wasted so much time on people who don't have any consideration for our time (suppliers). They ask for quotes and many times won't award the jobs or give any feedback info. These quotes can get very involved and a company can lose a lot of money chasing something that they can,t or shouldn,t be chasing. So, a little feedback would be nice.

Thanks!!!

besc

Ya. Thata fine with me. I bid these parts for $3.25 a part. Ill bet the winning bid was less than $2.00 a part maybe closer to $1.25. Mike.

LeftCoastCNC

Winning bids and the bid range would be nice to see.

Thank you very much for everyones quotes. As of right now, we are all set and the order has been placed (all from USA companies from this forum.) Thanks again!
Is it desirable for everyone if I post the winning bids and/or companies?

Because I have to meet a deadline, I ordered from 2 separate companies. Doubling my order gave out more work to machinists, and gave me redundancy and a greater chance to meet my deadline while learning about the quality, professionalism, and differences from the companies I'm working with. (I did this with all 3 of my latest parts).

The first company I chose quoted $8 a part. The second company I chose quoted $4 a part. Both companies had a web site, communication was great, and I was able to verify they were a registered company in the USA. Both companies did not have to rebuild the part either. In other words, I did not have to export my 3D solid model into a 2D .DXF format, and then spend another hour creating a detailed .PDF drawing. I did not have to worry about if they were going to re-create the part properly. Both companies could read my 3D SolidWorks file or .STEP file. This is definitely a bonus. This is the year 2008 and I'm still a little surprised how many companies are old school and use paper drawings (PDF in this case) and inefficiently re-create the part manually. Some may take offense to this, but I'm trying to simply tell you some reasons behind why I chose them.

I gave both companies my UPS account number and offered to pay for shipping.

BTW, most quotes were in the $10-$16 range.

bobk

Because I have to meet a deadline, I ordered from 2 separate companies. Doubling my order gave out more work to machinists, and gave me redundancy and a greater chance to meet my deadline while learning about the quality, professionalism, and differences from the companies I'm working with. (I did this with all 3 of my latest parts).

The first company I chose quoted $8 a part. The second company I chose quoted $4 a part. Both companies had a web site, communication was great, and I was able to verify they were a registered company in the USA. Both companies did not have to rebuild the part either. In other words, I did not have to export my 3D solid model into a 2D .DXF format, and then spend another hour creating a detailed .PDF drawing. I did not have to worry about if they were going to re-create the part properly. Both companies could read my 3D SolidWorks file or .STEP file. This is definitely a bonus. This is the year 2008 and I'm still a little surprised how many companies are old school and use paper drawings (PDF in this case) and inefficiently re-create the part manually. Some may take offense to this, but I'm trying to simply tell you some reasons behind why I chose them.

I gave both companies my UPS account number and offered to pay for shipping.

BTW, most quotes were in the $10-$16 range.

Thanks for the responce!

I could meet your criteria exept for a web site. Those prices for the parts that I looked at were extremely cheap especially in the quantity you ordered, I'm sure you know that! Anyway, Good luck and thanks again!

MikeMc

Both companies did not have to rebuild the part either. In other words, I did not have to export my 3D solid model into a 2D .DXF format, and then spend another hour creating a detailed .PDF drawing. I did not have to worry about if they were going to re-create the part properly. Both companies could read my 3D SolidWorks file or .STEP file. This is definitely a bonus. This is the year 2008 and I'm still a little surprised how many companies are old school and use paper drawings (PDF in this case) and inefficiently re-create the part manually. Some may take offense to this, but I'm trying to simply tell you some reasons behind why I chose them.

I think one of the biggest reasons for this is just the fact that there are so many different CAD/CAM packages out there, and all of them are quite pricey. If I do government work, I need to have Pro-E to read their files, (about $10000 base), if I want to convert them to something acceptable to my Swiss machines I need something like PartMaker (about $12000), if I need to read yours I will need Solid Works (about $5000 the last time I looked). NONE of the packages I have found will convert completely between the packages. I have also found that they will misrepresent dimensions, thus making parts that are out of spec. It is always the best policy, in my opinion, to send the digital file along with the hard copy with all the dimensions included. CAD software is one thing, a good CAD/CAM package is quite another.

Just my $.02

Mike

ckirchen

Both companies did not have to rebuild the part either. In other words, I did not have to export my 3D solid model into a 2D .DXF format, and then spend another hour creating a detailed .PDF drawing. I did not have to worry about if they were going to re-create the part properly. Both companies could read my 3D SolidWorks file or .STEP file. This is definitely a bonus. This is the year 2008 and I'm still a little surprised how many companies are old school and use paper drawings (PDF in this case) and inefficiently re-create the part manually.

Hear, hear. I'm suprised how often I come across a shop that still requires paper drawings. They're willing to invest in the machinery, but not the software; probably because the machine is tangible.

The worst one was a couple of months ago when I had to ship out some work to another shop in the area. I was super busy and the part was fairly complex, so he got the job because he had a multi-function Mazak with onboard CAM. Well, to help himout, I e-mail him the 3D model along some simple drawings with specific views so that he can extract toolpaths quickly and easily. A couple of days later he calls me to tell me that he's starting the job and that he needs some more info. He asks for a set of paper drawings at 10x scale so that he can measure the geometry with a ruler and punch it into the Mazak. At first I laugh, "Nice one" I say, but he is dead serious. The Mazak has CAM, but he has no way to get the electronic data into it, either it doesn't have the import feature or he doesn't know how. By now, it's too late to go to another shop because my customer can't wait.

I tell him there is no way that I would accept parts that are approximated from a paper drawing. Instead, I offer to generate the coordinates of every line and arc and their radii, so that he can rebuild it accurately at the controller. When he gets the parts done, he has the gall to tell me that he should be charging me for 2 days of programming, but he will do me a favor and work it into the price when I reorder. Guess what, i'm not going to reorder.

On a $2,300 job for 16 pieces, he spent 2 days programming. The machine is worth $300K and the software to run it is probably $10K to $15K. I wouldn't be suprised if he's lost 10 times that to customers that don't reorder because he can't meet their needs.

Most of the jobs that I do go straight from CAD model to final machined part with very little work from me. I've got a job in the queue that calls for 360 holes per part; with CAM, it will take me less than 5 minutes to post accurate gcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.