Request For Quote- 6061 2 op part

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently making these parts, but am running short on machine time. I would like to get some quotes to see if it is worth having someone else make them.

I will only consider shops that can show me examples of previous work, and tell me something about their shop. I will only award the job to a shop that I can verify the business.

Please send quote in the body of the email. I will not open attachments until the job is awarded. Send quotes to prdinquiry@gmail.com

Thank you for taking the time to review my RFQ.

1) Material type 6061-T6
2) Is a material quote required or is material supplied. Material Quote required
3) Quantity: Please quote 25, 100, and 250
4) Drawings should be immediately available or necessary specs. Included print is very basic for quoting purposes.
5) Required time frame No important. Would like re-orders to be within 2-3 weeks. Please specify normal lead times.
6) RFQ ending time: Quotes will not be accepted after 8/24/09 if prices are good, job will be awarded on the 28th.
9) Make known any special treatments/finishes not necessarily related to the machining process. This a cosmetic part that will be anodized a very bright color, so ALL blems will be seen. Please quote job accordingly. The surface finish needs to be nice with no chatter, or scuffing from handling. All edges need to be machine chamfered.

Attachments

• SUB MOUNT 2 QUOTE.PDF
    58.9 KB · Views: 196

besc

Deer Racer. In the tolerence section of the pdf print you are showing

Three decimal place plus or minus .005
Three decimal place plus or minus .002

Do you mean four decimal place plus or minus .002?

Thank you for catching that. Yes you are correct. .0000=+-.002
Please quote accordingly.

There are only a handfull of locations that have this call out.

Sorry to drag out this job.
I have not awarded the job to someone yet because I am currently have work done by one of the shops that I am considering and I want to see how the relationship works before awarding them another job.

I received 14 quotes. Honestly I expected more, and I am not sure why I didn’t get more. The job is a pretty easy re-accruing job with decent quantities. My first order will most likely be 100. Are people concerned that this will be a super low bid job because it is pretty easy? Are people concerned about the finish, handling and machine chamfering? I did receive a few emails asking about the machine chamfering.
Here are the price ranges I received.
25pc Range from $6.50 to $48.90
100 pc Range from $4.95 to $36.00
250pc Range from $4.25 to $29.50

Considering that I am more concerned about the 100 and 250pc prices here is the range I received from shops I am considering.
100pc $5.75-15.25
250pc $5.25-13.75

The shop with the lowest price is a shop that is already making some parts for another shop I do work for. If things go well with that order I will probably pick shop. If that order goes poorly then I will look at everyone’s quotes more closely and award the job then.

I am currently making this part with a HAAS VF2SS with 12k spindle. I am doing the job with 10 tools, one at a time in 7:30 minutes of combined cycle time without considering the change over. I also have to hog a LOT of material away because I am using material that is way to big. I was hoping it would be under $15.00 to make it worth paying someone else to make the parts. It looks like there are more then a few people willing to cut these for under my target.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to quote this job.
Regards,
Tim
www.proracedesigns.com

Dualkit

Personally I did not bid because it had "low bid" written all over it. Since you said it would be anodized that eliminates using cheap Chinese aluminum for anyone with a conscience, so the material cost at your 100 lot is $2.65 a piece.
The cheap stuff sometimes doesn't anodize well all the time, I won't use it for anything. Even if someone quotes junk aluminum material still is $1.30 or so.
Your cycle time is pretty accurate, going any faster you won't get too good of a finish. Add 3 hours for program, set-up and fixturing you have 15 1/2 hours labor. They will probably take some hand deburring, but most people don't add hours for that. Probably add 1 1/2 hr to clean, pack and ship that's 17 hours.
Aluminum doesn't wear tools so call that no expense. Figure $40 for electricity and a few scotch brite wheels, my electricity is even higher than that. Even using Chinese aluminum supplies cost $170. Take the $4.95 bidder if everything
goes smoothly and it never does they just sold machine time for $19.11 an hour.
I doubt someone who will work that cheap on anything that is more complicated than a washer will make decent looking parts. I can see charging
out $20 an hour on a bar fed simple lathe part in these tough times but this is getting ridiculous. I know there are plenty of poor quality hacks out there because how happy customers found here have been with my quality. I shipped parts that looked good and were to print, but I figured they were simple enough anyone could make them right, I guess that wasn't the case.

Forgot to say that I was paying $3.39 for the 3x1.25x6.5 6061-T6 Kaiser US material I am using.

I will be able to pretty easily get the part down to less than 6 minutes with the right material size, doing more then one at a time and by leaning on the tools a little bit more on the roughing. The programming time took a little longer because I do not want to hand debur at all. It’s been awhile but I think I have about 5 hours into the programming through first article. I should probably post a picture of the part so everyone knows what I expect. If you can not make this part please send me an email to withdraw your quote. I do expect the part to be machine chamfered up to the side walls.

Back to your math.
17hrs X $60hr shop rate (I don’t know what you charge these days)=$1020
Materials: 6061-T6 Kaiser 2x4.5x1.125= $1.49x100=149.00 (Supplier is EMJ $1.42-1.54 per lb for Kaiser or Alcoa)
Cut charge: .25x100=$25.00 (I have my supplier cut my material)
Power: $50.
Total: $1244/100=$12.44 per part

So, it looks like you would be in the hunt for the shops I am considering. Like I said I am going to see how things go with this other shop and the other job before I award the job to them. And, I will make it very clear of what I am looking for. Maybe the picture will clear it up.

I also forgot to mention before that there were five shops that sent me a quote as an attachment that I did not look at.

Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 75

mtidamachining

Pro Race Designs "I received 14 quotes. Honestly I expected more, and I am not sure why I didn’t get more."

Maybe it's because you give most, if not all of it to the locals. I can not fault you for that, I would do the same thing. Also I know that if the fish already has a hook in it's mouth, I need to try and catch another fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.