Some 4130 parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

amurphysmu

I need 10 of these spindles made from 4130 steel.

There is a 9/16" x 20 thread in the drawing, and I need a versions of this part with left and right hand threads, 5 of each.

Attachments

• Sheet1.pdf
    126.1 KB · Views: 93

Dualkit

Curious, why the odd ball 9/16-20 thread? Why not a standard 12 or 18 threads
per inch. Also 4130 isn't so kind to drill 1/16 holes through. I have a feeling
this is going to be underbid by someone not understanding the material and
what it will take to check the thread.

amurphysmu

It's a spindle for a bicycle pedal, and the standard thread for bike pedals is 9/16" x 20 for some reason... The 1/16" hole through the center is for a very small wiring harness and I know it's going to be a pain to drill.

Model Machine & Precision

Precision turning
Threads and small holes

I've got a set of thread mics and a Machinery's Handbook, so checking the threads is not a problem. As for the 1/16" holes: I've drilled deeper, smaller diameter holes in 718 Inconel. I'm not worried about the material other than the fact that round 4130 appears to be difficult to find in anything other than tubing. Would 4140 PHT work?

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine & Precision LLC

Dualkit

Hmmmmm, short pieces of almost anything like this 4130 is easy to find, you
just have to know where to look. I am sure many in here can drill this and check the threads, I just piped in so some newbie doesn't offer to do them for $5.00
each and make everybody look bad, or maybe the customer will decide on another easier to machine material to get a better price, just my 2 cents,..........Bob

amurphysmu

I wish these things could be made $2.00.... After looking around and playing with the my FEA model it looks like 4140 would work just as well if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.