RFQ: machined aluminum plate, 3x5"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riceburner98

(should say 3x6" in title, whoops!) Looking for a quote, say 10, 25 and 50 of these. (Automotive HVAC panel back plates) I currently machine them on my Taig CNC mill, but just don't have the time to do them, as it takes quite a while with no oiling / cooling / chip removal system and manually changing / calibrating tools.. I currently cut them out of scap aluminum plates I got from work, they're .090" thick, not sure what alloy, but I think standard 6061 in .125" would work just as well. (could supply 25 of the plates, but as it is I have the layout set to work around some holes in the plates so it's probably easier just to use new stock..) The main panel consists of various depth "pockets", some straight slotted, some curved, as well as a bunch of .090" holes. (to be tapped for 4-40 screws - possibly include in quote if not much extra? Normally I tap them with a hand drill / tap) Also the main panel has detents that I do with a .250" ball mill. The brackets / spacers have .125" holes for the 4-40 screws to pass through. The spacers would need to change if material was .125" thick instead of .090". One small bracket has a ball-milled or 45" chamfered edge to act as a ramp for a connector locking tab. I've attached the files in .ems (Emachineshop) format as I don't have AutoCad, and I like to be able to mark up the drawings in color. (the diff. machines specified in the .ems file are only to get the colors to show up, trying to render the part in the program would probably crash it!) I also exported it to .dxf from Emachineshop. The .jpg picture is one of the earlier revisions, when I was manually wiring the thing. The wiring slots are no longer needed, and the .125" holes in the picture are now the 4-40 threaded holes. (used to rivet it together, now use screws) I could machine and send sample parts to the person who will make them before work proceeds if desired. Will leave the quote open for 1 week, -> 7/27/07. I'd like to have them within a month if possible, maybe sooner? I've also got a simpler panel to machine that is a longer rectangle shape with drilled holes and 1 cutout, no extra brackets. Same material, still finalizing the drawings for it though...

wiring_sm.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rice_burner_98/Machining/rfq_hvac1.dxf

http://home.comcast.net/~rice_burner_98/Machining/rfq_hvac1.ems

Last edited:

Riceburner98

Just wanted to update and thank those that have been in contact via email. I've gotten a few replies, just waiting on some numbers. I forgot to mention tolerances in the original post in case anyone's still looking... The small brackets can be +/- .03" or so, as long as the holes are in the correct places to line up with the main panel. The main panel itself can actually be .03" - .04" undersize, as it is covered by a plastic panel and graphics. If it's oversize the aluminum would be seen around the edges... Thanks again all!

Status
Not open for further replies.