Quick Quote Needed NEW!! quote this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbs

Some recent updates on the project so I have decided a fresh new thread with more details. If you still think you can cut this then please leave a message for a quote so I can send these files along.

I have received lots of emails but this is time consuming especially not getting any leads back so. Please read this post thoroughly and if you can help with the model then great.

We have problems plaguing this project. The main being the Tiny little S on top of this surface which have to be engraved some how... Whats the best way for this to be done?

Now I have tried an RP model and I found out the hard way that heads could not print that small a detail. So we changed the design to meet the specs of the RP machine and it still could not print cleanly.

So I'm racking my mind how this can be machined and I thought to "have the S shapes engraved with a laser" Only to find out that this would be too costly on a commercial rig as the laser could be running for up to a week. Plus I still have to get the Base machined from a metal.

So where do we stand now. I pretty much have all the files required to get this machined I just have not found one solid lead.:confused:

I have the Base S with out any engravings in iges. format

I have the Shield with the full list of S engravings on it(note this is a very heavy file)

I have the paths drawn out in Illustrator in an AI. file and as DXF. for the whole shield and s engravings.

From what I have gathered some people believe that this can me milled in one go and that, the tool heads tolerance can go down as far as the "S" smallest measurement 0.4323 (even smaller).

To give a heads up on some of the dimensions now the Shield measures 11" wide by 6" tall and is about 1 inch thick at its highest point(right in the middle of the Shield) There are about 1500 "S" engravings on the whole shield:eek:

I have no requirements what it is made from! Steel, Plastic etc.

Now some people have reported some trouble on the ENGRAVED FILE, this is because it is so large. It was created in
Rhino and I have the native Rhino file/Step/Iges./Stl. of it. if it helps.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=templatedimension.jpg

Huebert Machine

cnc mill shop
Superman sheild

I went to the link that you posted. If you could e-mail me your IGES file of the sheild and DXF file I will see if this is something we can do. If it looks like we can do it I will need a Step or STL file.
Thanks,Kelly Huebert.

Huebert Machine,LLC.
R-1 Box 423
Amoret.Mo.64722

1-913-837-0255

huebertmachine@yahoo.com

Last edited:

RPMfg

I couldn't follow the link. I do a lot of engraving on parts of many sizes and material. I will look at your file ASAP if forwarded to me . IGES/STEP, just about any format.

Thank you
Russell
RPMFG@msn.com

welchmechanical

rapid prototyping

RBS

You say you tried a rapid prototype model with no luck on the high resolution "S" features on the part.

I would suggest you contact American Precision Prototyping, specifically Nic Daniels at http://www.approto.com/

They have made a number of parts for us with feature sizes down in the thousands of an inch. Nic is great at working with you on selecting the build media and machines that can get these tiny features.

Good luck.

I can quote with machining from metal if you like. Please send me the IGES. But you are looking at least around $2-3k to machine a single piece at a general purpose shop like ours. You could try a sign maker with a CNC router. But they may have trouble holding the tight tolerances to make all the Small "S" features look right. Even one S looking off could mess up the entire look of the part because the eye automatically goes to the "odd man out" in patterns like this.

Good luck.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.