Mild Steel slip fit connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

treegezer

I am with a student group at Arizona State University, we are looking to have some parts made for a steel bridge competition. Here is a pdf (all units in inches) of what we are looking for. An all inclusive quote for fabrication of 40 of Part 1 and 20 of Part 2 to have the finished product in hand by the 15th of February. We will accept quotes until the 25 of January. None of us are machinist so please do bear with us.

Last edited:

rcazparts

What size are the bolt holes in the two parts?
Will you be welding the finished products in the construction of your bridge?
Your drawing shows a 1" 16awg Box Tube. Is this indicating you will be putting the finished products inside another piece?

treegezer

What size are the bolt holes in the two parts?
Will you be welding the finished products in the construction of your bridge?
Your drawing shows a 1" 16awg Box Tube. Is this indicating you will be putting the finished products inside another piece?

The bolts are 1/4". Yes the finished products will be welded to one another then welded inside the box tube. So you would have Part 1 and Part 2 welded together then welded to box tubing. This would create the male portion of the connection. The female portion would consist of Part 1 one welded inside box tubing. Here is a updated drawing. During the assembly we would place a 1/4" bolt through the hole on the female side. One of my teammates pointed out a significant error in my previous post we would need 96 of part 1 and 48 of part 2. The material can be anything that will attract a magnet and is as good as A500 steel tubing in tensile strength and shear modulus.

treegezer

Hello treegezer
Do you want a quote on manufacturing part 1 & 2 only?
Thanks

Yes a quote for material, machining, and delivery to 85282 for Part 1 and Part 2 only. The third diagram is for demonstration purposes only. All welding, bolts, box tubing and final fit up will be done by the team.

bobk

Hello Treegezer
On part 2 does the 1/4 hole go thru? If not, How far does it go?
Are all holes just drilled ? Is there any finish req., or threads, or Tolerances?
Thanks

treegezer

All holes are completely thru, they are holes to drop 1/4" bolts thru so what every tolerance is typical for that is fine. Part 1 and Part 2 need to be able to slide together by hand but have as little play as possible. Sorry we aren't mechanical engineers, our civil engineering educations are surely showing.

treegezer

you still haven't mentioned what grade of steel it is that you want 1018 4140 8620 ? I didn't notice 40 pieces, so disregard the price. In addition, it would be better to weld the squares to the tube and drill in one shot. In addition, is there a 1/4" hole going down teh length of part #2. Also, is that hole just a lightening cut?

1018 or something thats similarly easy to weld to. They fit inside A500 and will need to have fair welding compatibility so no 1065 or 12L14. Its also imparative they attract a magnet (that is how they test at the competition).

The 1/4" hole down the center is for weight reduction only. If this is adding significant expense please do say so. I had imagined both parts would be fabricated 4 inches long then cut in two, reducing the number of setups roughly in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.