Help with building a die

Hello everyone,
I am trying to figure out the best way to build a die to make this part.
I know the material will move when it is formed.
I am trying to make it in 1 hit. I`m thinking pierce the 2 holes with .750 material between the holes, then form "U" shape and cut off between the 2 holes.
Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Any die designers that could help!!

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 59

howard j kopel

Are there any stamping die designers that are willing to design this die for me?
If so how much would you charge.
Thanks
Looks like something that I might like to try. I do punch and die work and etc. I am located in the Oklahoma Panhandle. What is the width of the piece ? I wonder if the the "U" cutout can be punched out with two pieces secured side by side ?
Howard J Kopel
hjkopel@swko.net

I would like someone to design the die. The material will move when it forms the "U" shape and I don`t want to snap off my punches
when the die closes. Thank you

howard j kopel

OK it just seemed like a very tight bend. Let me rough out a design and I'll get back to you.
Howard
What equipment are you going to use ? A standard punch press with die sets or say a hydraulic press with a fabricated tool holder. I used to make pickup bumpers and made my own equipment. I have a 250 ton press, 8' long X 12" wide. I also have a 12 ton press and other machine shop equipment. Also are you interested in complete design with tolerances or just arrangement design ?.
Howard

howard j kopel

I will be using a die set and it will be in a punch press. Arrangement design is all I would need.

Dave
Good morning. Will something like this help you in getting your project started ? I can finish the dimensions and add whatever you suggest. I also noticed that having two bend stations will probably keep the material from moving and not effect the punches.

Attachments

• strap4.jpeg
    strap4.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 9
Yes that is what I was thinking, The part would be held down somehow on the 2nd form so the punches don`t brake.
Now I`m trying to figure out the stripper plate so it holds it down on the second punch.

Thanks Howard hopefully I can help you out someday.
God Bless and happy Easter.

howard j kopel

Yes that is what I was thinking, The part would be held down somehow on the 2nd form so the punches don`t brake.
Now I`m trying to figure out the stripper plate so it holds it down on the second punch.

Thanks Howard hopefully I can help you out someday.
God Bless and happy Easter.
We will need strippers on both benders and the punches. Shall I continue with the drawing or will you be able to put it together without it ?
Howard

howard j kopel

If you don`t mind continuing every little bit would help.
Dave
Almost there. Tomorrow I'll send various shots of the drawing. I wanted to see how the bending would go so I went out in the shop and bent one. We need the guide/stripper to hold down the piece when it is being bent. I have most of the design done.
Howard

Attachments

• strap5.jpeg
    strap5.jpeg
    571.8 KB · Views: 6

howard j kopel

Almost there. Tomorrow I'll send various shots of the drawing. I wanted to see how the bending would go so I went out in the shop and bent one. We need the guide/stripper to hold down the piece when it is being bent. I have most of the design done.
Howard
I looked into the bending and there is a problem as seen here. This can be solved I think by inserting rubber pads to keep the material from bending upward.

Attachments

• strap9.jpeg
    strap9.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 5