Four parts, 18 pieces in all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
I'm not sure how to make these parts. But I need the parts to finish my project. I'm open to the idea of making design changes if I must. As you'll see from the drawings, the parts I refer to as a collar and pivot both have square holes several inches deep. I have some understanding of the complexity and issues with what I'm requesting...but I am hoping someone has a creative solution.

We can discuss tolerances and such if you're interested.

1) Material type Would prefer 6061 Al, but would consider steel as well. Hoping to have these parts machined/milled, not cast.
2) Is a material quote required or is material supplied. Quote with material please.
3) Quantity I need 2 sleeves, 2 pivots and 12 collars. I also need 2 jackbases, but the design will depend upon other factors
4) Drawings Attached as DXF. Can provide other formats if necessary.
5) Required time frame No rush. If I can get the parts by Jan/Feb that'd be great.
6) RFQ ending time open until I find someone to do the job

I am aware that a version of the collar could be crafted by welding two square steel tubes together, but I'd like to have this milled as one piece if at all possible. Failing that, I'll have no choice but to weld the part instead.

Attachments

• collar.dxf
    162.2 KB · Views: 119
  • pivot v4.dxf
    361.6 KB · Views: 58
  • sleeve.dxf
    293 KB · Views: 45

DareBee

It appears that these dxf's where 3d solids or surfaces at 1 time.
A dxf of a 3d part is pretty much useless.
Either give us the 3d models (and we will make up our own tolerances, finishes, scaling, etc) or proper shop prints to work from.

Thanks.

caldude

PFDs would be helpful

Dear Joe:

Could you supply the plans in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format? ( NOT "PFD" as shown in subject line. My bad.) If that is a problem for you, we can work with the plans requested by DareBee above.

Thanks.

Robertson Tool & Mfg. Co. Inc.
Hollywood USA

Last edited:

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
Good evening all,

My apologies. I happened to have DXF files on me at the time I made the post, so I uploaded those. I also have IGES versions I can provide later tonight when I return to the office. I will also upload PDFs.

I used TurboCAD to create the files. Unfortunately, it's the MAC version 2.0 which leaves a lot to be desired with regard to exports (it's nothing like the PC version). I'm not sure if the IGES files will be much better. Let me know once you've had a chance to review them.

And thank you all for your interest. I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in such a small project.

DareBee

Most of us using 3d modelers will have no problem with the iges files.
Are you going to provide documentation on tolerancing, finishes,etc?

BTW no project is too small.
Having square internal holes also removes a lot of the "basement machinists" from being able to do this (no offence meant to anyone) and also means you are willing to spend top dollar to have these done (if you are not it would be appropriate to say so know ( those holes will be hundreds of dollars each )).

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
Hi DareBee,

I'm in the process of redesigning the parts based on some feedback obtained yesterday...the square holes definitely seem to be the biggest issue with regard to cost. I had a feeling that'd be a problem. It appears that there are folks who can do the work, perhaps using EDM, but the cost would be prohibitive.

I had hoped to create the collar, sleeve and pivot from solid blocks of metal with no welds or bolts, but I now believe that is simply unrealistic.

I'm hoping to finish the redesigns tonight when I get home from work. I'll upload them as soon as they are complete.

Aerotech

Hello,
please provide files in adobe or pdf files. We would like to quote this job.

Aerotech Manufacturing
Alex Ayes

Aerotech

18 peices/ PDF file?

Hello,

We are wondering if you still want a quote on 18 pieces.

We are still waiting on a PDF file so we can quote the job for you.

I am sure that if you want a part milled as one solid piece without

welding we would do that for you.

Please let us know.

Aerotech Manufacturing
doublea159@yahoo.com
704-449-6274
Alex Ayes

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
part #1 - the "collar"

Thank you all for waiting patiently while I reworked the design.

Based on the feedback I received from forum members [thank you by the way] I completely redesigned my parts. Let's begin with the collar. My original design for the collar included two large square through-holes which, from a manufacturing perspective, seemed to be unnecessarily complex and costly. I have since split the collar into two identical halves which will be oriented 90 degrees to each other and bolted together using four 1.5" Grade 8 bolts. The square holes are gone. In the process I gained flexibility in the way I can use the collar halves...that is to say, the design is very modular. For example, my redesign of the "pivot" uses a collar halve bolted to a part designed specifically for rotation.

The new collar design can be seen in the PDFs and the IGES files below. This redesign resulted in an increase in the number of collar pieces I will require. I will need 26 collar halves for my project. In addition, I will still need 2 sleeves and 2 pivots.

If you have questions I can be reached this weekend by phone or email.

The PDFs are attached and the IGES file can be downloaded HERE.

Attachments

• top.pdf
    464.9 KB · Views: 51
  • front.pdf
    503.5 KB · Views: 34
  • side.pdf
    442 KB · Views: 33
  • isometric.pdf
    88.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
part #2 - the "sleeve"

I had a similar issue with my "sleeve" design. It also included large square pockets that made the part prohibitively expensive to manufacture. I eliminated the pockets and simplified the part, and cut the weight quite a bit in the process.

I need 2 sleeves in all.

I have attached 3 images of the new design along with a link to the IGES file HERE.

While I would like to keep the radiused edge to soften the look of the part, I have no problem dropping that requirement if it adds more than 10% to the cost of manufacturing.

Attachments

• sleeve1.jpg
    sleeve1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 42
  • sleeve2.jpg
    sleeve2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 30
  • sleeve3.jpg
    sleeve3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 27

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
part #3 - the "pivot"

Lastly, there's the pivot. Originally I created a one-piece design, but it also included a square through-hole.

I redesigned the part so that, bolted to a collar halve, it serves the same purpose as the original design.

I need 2 pivots halves in all. The dimensions are 5.5" x 5.5" x 3" with 0.5" bolt holes and a 2.5" center hole. All radiuses are 0.5"

Below are the images and the IGES file can be downloaded HERE. PDF can be made available upon request.

Attachments

• pivot1.jpg
    pivot1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 53
  • pivot2.jpg
    pivot2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 36
  • pivot3.jpg
    pivot3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 32

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
Hi Don,

The RFQ will remain open until I can find a shop to do the job. Cost if the biggest factor, as is usually the case. I figured I would speak with the people who respond to the RFQ and, hopefully, make a decision later this quarter.

I'm expecting that I will pay a bit more for the first set of parts given that it's a small quantity. But I also want to discuss the pricing schedule for larger quantities should I decide to offer these parts to others in the future.

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
I should also mention that I am more than willing to make changes to the designs in order to drive the manufacturing cost down to the lowest possible figure.

That's why I redesigned the parts in the first place. I'm just not familiar enough with the costs of various manufacturing processes to understand how they have an impact on overall cost.

If you see something that can be eliminated to drive cost down, by all means feel free to make a recommendation. For example, while I really like the look of the radiused edges on my designs, they are not essential to the designs, and therefore can be eliminated if necessary. All this to say, I'm flexible.

caldude

Possible design change.

Hi Joe.

Before quoting, I thought I should bring up a change to the collar that would save you machining time (and thus save you money). We want to use a 3-axis mill to make this part. 3-axis time is less costly than using a 4 or 5-axis machine. The most efficient design for using a 3-axis mill would have no slanting, angled sides. Having 90 degree corners and vertical or horizontal faces will be faster (cheaper) to machine. We can cut those angled faces on the sides of the collar using a ball-end endmill, but it will require many passes to get the desired slanted shape. Thus the machinging time will be much longer. (Our plan is to cut the part in only 2 setups, top & bottom. Fewer setups save time and money too.)

We'll be happy to quote based on the existing design, but we think you can save 20% or more by making the changes we propose.

Could you let me know what you want to do?

Thanks.
Sam
Robertson Tool & Mfg. Co.
323-874-5528

josephmartins

Geek n Gearhead
Good afternoon all,

Thank you all for your time over the past several days. Based on the last couple of cost estimates I have to come to the realization that machining just isn't the way to go for this project. It seems the amount of work involved is driving the price much too high for such a small project.

I'm certain the quality would be outstanding, but the price point wouldn't be competitive, even if I decided to produce these on a larger scale.

I'm going to go with Plan B, which is to super-simplify the part designs and have them fabricated/welded from tubular steel. I'll close out this RFQ and move the details over to the welding section.

Steve, Sam, Jerry, thank you for your time and advice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.