CNC Machine for sale...maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MantheyMachine

Is anybody looking for a CNC lathe? It's a Prototrak 1840SX. If you aren't familiar with this machine, it's a great prototyping and small to medium run machine. Super easy to program, and can also be used like a manual machine. This one is loaded with options.

I am thinking about getting out of the business and am curious what the interest is out there for equipment. Shoot me an email at mantheymachine@yahoo.com if you might be interested.

I also have a 60 hp 3-phase converter and a J-head bridgeport. Granted I won't get rid of those unless I get rid of the lathe.

sebtool

How old is the lathe? What options does it have? What do you want for it? From what I've seen the machine market is up in a few areas, down in most, like around here in St Louis. I may be interested, if a few other things fall into place.

MantheyMachine

I tell ya what, posting something on here has gotten a better response then going through an equipment broker. I can't believe how many emails I have gotten. Selling my equipment is just an idea at the moment, so I'd like to clarify that. Any time I get slow, I start to think about it, as I am sure a lot of you guys do when times get rough. I probably will be getting rid of my equipment eventually however, as I am working on a career in another field. So anybody interested, I will get in touch with you when that time comes.

But here are the details of the lathe.

2006 Prototrak 1840SX
options:
TRAKing option (which allows you to manually control feedrate with the job wheels while running a program, great thing to have for proving a program)

Advanced Features (This feature I am not exactly sure what all it includes. from what I understood when I bought this thing, it comes with a pretty dumbed down control, and this makes it as good as any converstational control out there. I do not know why this option is not standard though. In a recent software update on the machine, it allows for a thread repair cycle as well. This update is installed, and that cycle is very handy. Also, it has a neat little feature called "Do one". While you are using the machine like a manual lathe, you can press "do one" and it will give you the option of cutting a radius, chamfur, fillet, and a few other things. You press this, enter the size radius or whatever, and keep turning the wheel, and it will cut whatever you just told it to do. Again, handy feature. You can now do manual work, that would normally require you to grind a special tool.)

8-tool indexer (those of you familar with prototrak will know that this machine comes without a indexer, and uses a pretty standard tool post like a manual machine. You are given options of "gang tooling" a 4 station indexer, and the 8-tool indexer. I choose the 8-tool when I bought it. This is by the far the most expensive option. What it is, is a dorian 20N, CNC indexer that is installed in the machine and is completely programmable within the controls. The dorian interfaces with the TRL trak controls completely. This option makes the machine good for more then just prototype work. Without it, you would get tired as hell on long run jobs, having to switch out tool holders in the post)

8" chuck (standard manual chuck. One downfall with this machine....it does not have a hydraulic or pneumatic chuck. It operates just like a standard manual lathe.....so don't forget to remove the chuck key! I have been fortunate to never do that. lol. You can purchase a collet closer attachment from prototrak, in fact I think even just a standard one may work. That would really pick the production up on this machine.)

Work lamp (odd that this wasn't standard.....)

coolant pump

Some neat features included that are not found on most machines. There is a input on the side of the control for a mouse and keyboard. There is a floopy drive....like most machines. One odd thing, that you almost never see, USB ports. They have to be activated however, and this costs money. Pisses me off that they weren't standard.

That is pretty much all I can think of to mention about my machine. If you want any more details check out http://www.southwesternindustries.com/swi/prod_lathes3.shtml . I am not sure exactly how much I am looking for. Somewhere in the upper 30ks probably.

Also, I'll get some pictures soon. If you would like pictures, send a request to my email. I need to clean it up a little from a recent aluminum job. And also the machine is located near Huntsville, Alabama. Just an idea on shipping costs. It cost me $1000 to get the thing shipped from the factory in California, then $300 to get a rigger to unload.

Status
Not open for further replies.