Request For Quote- Custom Locating Cup Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbclassics

Custom Locating Cup Washer -Project Awarded

Hello,

Please quote for a quantity run of 60 and 120 for the following locating cup washer. (See attached 2D PDF for dimensions, see 3D PDF for solid model)

Material is 4142 (ie prehardened 4140 with a hardness of RC30). I can supply material if required, runs about $14/ft in 1.25" round bar from our suppliers.

Please include production time estimates as well.

I would appreciate quotes be sent via PM.

Additional Information:

Surface Finish: ~125Ra
Tolerance: +/- 0.001 on all dimensions
Edge Features: None, no special features or radiused corners anywhere.

Thanks,

Kai M. Radicke
Philadelphia, PA

Attachments

• Spring Cup 2D Schematic.pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Spring Cup 3D Model.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

DareBee

Fred

It machines nice.
Yes it is 28-30Rc, but no problem, obviously you need to lose a couple hundred SFM.
I am surprised you are having difficulty finding it, this is a very common material here and I can get it from almost all of my umpteen steel suppliers.
PS I won't be bidding against you on this one.

wbclassics

Feedback on RFQ Process

As I have seen it requested before, bidders/readers would like to see some feedback on this quote.

I received eight quotes total from RFQ Work, the pricing ranged as follows:

QTY 60; QTY 120
3.00 / 2.50 (I supply material)
2.25 / 1.90 (I supply material)
5.12 / 4.36 (I supply material)
4.90 / 4.10
3.83 / 3.35 (I supply material)
7.50 / 7.50
4.92 / 3.80

The bid I selected was the $3.00 / 2.50 bid, for two reasons other than price. The bidder said they could get the work done in about a weeks time. Also geographically, they were located one state away which meant shipping time was minimized considerablly (they already have the material as of today).

We do a fair amount of parts manufacturing using local machine shops as well, and my usual CNC shop quoted $6.50 to do this job but with a completion time of four weeks (too long). Two other local shops wanted in excess of $11 to do this item, also with long times.

What did surprise me was some of the questions I received regarding the material choice and the unfamiliarity some people have with it. 4140 HT is an excellent material to use on machined parts that have thin cross sections where you wouldn't want to heat treat the part after machining because of the fragility of the item. It also wouldn't be as economical unless you the bidders were able to do heat treating in house. We work with two large heat treating firms on a regular basis for some of our shaft based products, and the minimum charge for a batch is $95... for a small project like this, it simply is not worth adding that to the overall cost.

We'll be using this website again in the future for other projects. Ironically it was the local shop we use all the time that pointed us here because he couldn't do the work at the price / time frame we felt was worthwhile. We have projects that require laser / waterjet cutting as well, and when we have a new project come up, I"ll be coming back to RFQwork!

Thanks to everyone who provided a bid.

Rapid Tech

wbclassics,

That was a great explanation of your decision. It shows that there are people who are not only interested in price. Location and quick delivery are equally important when finding a supplier.

It's difficult for me to get customers in the US because I'm in Canada. Shipping is often slower and more expensive and with the strong Canadian dollar I'm at another disadvantage. It just means that I have to find other ways to be more competitive. Oh, challenges of being in business.

Jeff3

Hello,

Please quote for a quantity run of 60 and 120 for the following locating cup washer. (See attached 2D PDF for dimensions, see 3D PDF for solid model)

Material is 4142 (ie prehardened 4140 with a hardness of RC30). I can supply material if required, runs about $14/ft in 1.25" round bar from our suppliers.

Please include production time estimates as well.

I would appreciate quotes be sent via PM.

Additional Information:

Surface Finish: ~125Ra
Tolerance: +/- 0.001 on all dimensions
Edge Features: None, no special features or radiused corners anywhere.

Thanks,

Kai M. Radicke
Philadelphia, PA

60 pcs. $4.50 each
100 pcs. $4.25 each.

We can do the job 6 to 10 days after receiving a P.O.

Jeff

904-276-6131
904-276-6132 Fax.

If I don't answer the phone leave a message. Being a one man shop I sometimes don't hear it.

pics

wbclassics,

Thank you for sharing the info with all of us, if possible please post a picture of the parts showing both sides up close so we can see the quality and surface finish. I can make parts to the cheap import standards but the customers would send them back. I am having a VERY hard time understanding how that part can be made for $3.00 and still retain good finish and tolerance. If you need cheap parts to import standards we can do that to at the customers request.

Status
Not open for further replies.